Checking Out Library eBooks
1. Visit Southwest Virginia Public Libraries Overdrive Site through http://swvapub.lib.overdrive.com/ from a computer not your Kindle.
2. Login to your Radford Public Library Overdrive account from this page and select Radford Public Library from the DROP DOWN LIST and entering your card number and PIN. Call the library at (540) 731-3621 if you do not know your PIN.
3. Browse and check out a Kindle book.
4. Click Get for Kindle to open Amazon.com. Sign in with your Amazon account if you’re not logged in.
5. At the Deliver to drop-down option, select a Kindle device or Kindle reading app. Click Get library book and sync your device or app to download the book.
If you do not have an active Wi-Fi connection, choose Transfer via Computer, and then select the device which will receive the USB transfer. Read below for more information about transferring content via USB.
Wireless Delivery of Library eBooks
An active Wi-Fi connection is required for wireless delivery of library Kindle eBooks to a Kindle device. (You may not use your Kindle’s 3G connection.) If your Kindle is not Wi-Fi capable or you do not have an active Wi-Fi connection, use Amazon’s instructions to transfer files via USB.
To connect to a Wi-Fi network using your Kindle:
1. Press Home , then press Menu .
2. Use the 5-way controller to select Settings.
3. Select View next to Wi-Fi Settings to display a list of detected Wi-Fi networks. You may have to wait a moment as your Kindle detects networks in range.
4. Choose connect next to the Wi-Fi network to which you want to connect. If necessary, enter the Wi-Fi network password. Use SYM to enter any numbers or symbols in your password and Shift (↑) for uppercase characters.
After you have connected to a Wi-Fi network once, your Kindle will automatically connect to it again when it detects its signal.
Transferring Kindle Content Via USB
1. On Amazon.com, open the Manage Your Kindle page to get to Your Kindle Library. To the right of the book title you want to transfer to your Kindle, click Actions. Choose Download & Transfer Via USB.
2. You may be prompted to open or save the file; choose Save and select a location that’s easy to find, e.g. Desktop.
3. Once the file has been saved, connect your Kindle to your computer using the USB cable. When connected to your computer, your Kindle will go into USB drive mode, and you won’t be able to use the device. Your wireless service is temporarily shut off, and you will not receive any of your subscriptions while in this mode.
4. Your Kindle will appear in the same location as external USB drives usually appear. For Windows users, this is typically in the Computer or My Computer menu. For Mac users, the drive will appear on the desktop.
5. Open the Kindle drive. You will see several folders inside, one of which will be named documents. This is the folder to which you will move your downloaded Kindle content .
6. Locate your downloaded file, and drag and drop it into the correct file.
7. Safely eject your Kindle from your computer, then unplug the USB cable. The file you transferred will now appear on your Kindle Home screen.
For more details, search for “Transferring, Downloading, and Sending Files to Kindle” in Amazon’s online help.
Returning Books Early
1. On Amazon.com, open the Manage Your Kindle page to get to Your Kindle Library. To the right of the book title you want to transfer to your Kindle, click Actions. Choose Return This Book.
2. When it asks you if you are sure, click Yes. You will no longer be able to access the title on your Kindle.
You still will see the library eBook book title listed in Your Kindle Library, but you will not be able to access the library eBook. You must click Actions and choose Delete From Library if you wish to remove the title from Your Kindle Library.